100 positive quotes about happiness "The pursuit of happiness"
|Image: Happiness quotes illustration / Positive Thesaurus|
01. Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn't stop to enjoy it.
02. It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
03. I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.
04. There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.
05. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
06. Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
07. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
08. Happiness is good health and a bad memory.
09. True happiness is... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
10. Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn't stop to enjoy it.
11. Even if happiness forgets you a little bit, never completely forget about it.
12. If you want to be happy, be.
13. Happiness is never stopping to think if you are.
14. Most people would rather be certain they’re miserable, than risk being happy.
15. Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
16. Happiness is excitement that has found a settling down place. But there is always a little corner that keeps flapping around.
17. Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy. Cynthia Nelms
18. Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.
19. I don't think you can feel a sense of entitlement and still be happy. Happiness always comes from feeling that you've been blessed.
20. Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.
21. What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner.
22. The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.
23. Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn’t know you left open.
24. "Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
25. People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.
H. Jackson Brown
26. Happiness and sadness run parallel to each other. When one takes a rest, the other one tends to take up the slack.
27. Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.
28. Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible.
29. Pleasure is spread through the earth. In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find.
30. Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
31. Happiness is a form of courage.
32. We must laugh before we are happy, for fear of dying without having laughed at all.
Jean de La Bruyere
33. We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. Frederick Keonig
34. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.
35. The secret to happiness is to put the burden of proof on unhappiness.
36. Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.
37. Happiness is a direction, not a place.
Sydney J. Harris
38. The really happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery, even when they have to take a detour.
James Hopwood Jeans
39. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
40. Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
41. There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness.
42. The best vitamin to be a happy person is B1.
43. A great obstacle to happiness is to expect too much happiness.
Bernard de Fontenelle
44. Is it not clear, however, that bliss and envy are the numerator and denominator of the fraction called happiness?
45. A happy thought is like a seed that sows positivity for all to reap.
46. Happiness is not an ideal of reason, but of imagination.
47. Filling your heart with happiness is more profitable than filling your hands with riches.
48. Just as a cautious businessman avoids investing all his capital in one concern, so wisdom would probably admonish us also not to anticipate all our happiness from one quarter alone.
49. The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not.
George Bernard Shaw
50. Some pursue happiness, others create it.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
|Image: Happiness quote by Marcus Tullius Cicero - / Positive Thesaurus|
W. Beran Wolfe
52. If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have a paradise in a few years.
53. The world is full of people looking for spectacular happiness while they snub contentment.
54. I think the key to life is just being a happy person, and happiness will bring you success.
55. There is no way to happiness — happiness is the way.
Thich Nhat Hanh
56. We can't control the world. We can only (barely) control our own reactions to it. Happiness is largely a choice, not a right or entitlement.
David C. Hill
57. How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now, and there will never be a time when it is not now.
58. I have only two kinds of days: happy and hysterically happy.
Allen J. Lefferdink
59. So long as we can lose any happiness, we possess some.
60. We cannot be happy if we expect to live all the time at the highest peak of intensity. Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony.
61. Happiness is a way station between too little and too much. Channing Pollock
62. The happy have whole days, and those they choose. The unhappy have but hours, and those they lose.
63. The art of living does not consist in preserving and clinging to a particular mode of happiness, but in allowing happiness to change its form without being disappointed by the change; happiness, like a child, must be allowed to grow up.
Charles L. Morgan
64. Happiness is a matter of one’s most ordinary and everyday mode of consciousness being busy and lively and unconcerned with self.
65. Happiness is... usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults.
66. You cannot always have happiness, but you can always give happiness.
67. Doing cartwheels in the green grass of happiness and skipping high towards the blue heavenly skies of joy!
68. We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it.
George Bernard Shaw
69. Be happy. It’s one way of being wise.
70. The greatest happiness you can have is knowing that you do not necessarily require happiness.
71. People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy.
72. Happiness is an inside job.
William Arthur Ward
73. Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers’ gardens.
74. The fact is always obvious much too late, but the most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy a liquid.
75. If a person’s basic state of mind is serene and calm, then it is possible for this inner peace to overwhelm a painful physical experience. On the other hand, if someone is suffering from depression, anxiety, or any form of emotional distress, then even if he or she happens to be enjoying physical comforts, he will not really be able to experience the happiness that these could bring.
Tenzin Gyatso ()14th Dalai Lama)
76. Happiness is a function of accepting what is.
77. Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.
78. Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though it were his own.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
79. When you’re really happy, the birds chirp and the sun shines even on cold dark winter nights — and flowers will bloom on a barren land.
80. Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
81. There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.
82. On the whole, the happiest people seem to be those who have no particular cause for being happy except that they are so.
William R. Inge
83. To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.
84. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
85. Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.
86. Happiness is like the penny candy of our youth: we got a lot more for our money back when we had no money.
87. No matter how carefully you plan your life, in the end your happiness comes down to someone who one day just walked into it.
88. One day you just say "To heck with it," and you go looking for trouble, and you find happiness.
89. Real happiness is cheap enough, yet how dearly we pay for its counterfeit.
90. I don't think most people want to be unhappy. It's just something they've gotten good at.
91. Happiness pulses with every beat of my heart.
92. Happiness consists more in conveniences of pleasure that occur everyday than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom.
93. The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.
94. Gather the crumbs of happiness and they will make you a loaf of contentment.
95. Give a man health and a course to steer, and he’ll never stop to trouble about whether he’s happy or not.
George Bernard Shaw
96. Happiness is the natural flower of duty.
97. We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements in life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley
98. You need to learn to be happy by nature, because you’ll seldom have the chance to be happy by circumstance.
Lavetta Sue Wegman
99. The true secret of happiness lies in the taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life...
100. Be virtuous and you'll be happy? Nonsense! Be happy and you'll begin to be virtuous.
James Gould Cozzens
ps. See also words that can be used to describe happiness here.
|Image: Happiness quote by Mignon McLaughlin / Positive Thesaurus|